As a newbie WordPress developer, you would often be asked to deal with a website function. More often than not the solution you would find to be is using a plugin. I myself have been saved by wordpress plugins before, Helping me save time creating a function from scratch.
WordPress Plugin – Why I need it?
WordPress Plugins serve as an add-on and offer different additional functionality for users that you can customize according to your own preferences. In addition, it gives WordPress flexibility on the content of your website.
Third party application and web app can connect to your WordPress thru the help of the plugin. Plugins can be downloaded via WordPress.org, third party app plugin can be downloaded from their website.
Feel free to choose and discover which plugins are suitable for you, the majority of them are free.
WordPress Plugins for Newbies
- Yoast SEO – in terms of search engine optimization, this is undoubtedly the most downloaded and
the top WordPress plugin. First things first I am not an expert in SEO so finding this plugin was a blessing. If you are just starting out with your own site or working on a website for SEO this is the plugin for you. It is so easy to use and it requires no coding to use, effortless and it’s free.
- Wordfence – security is important if you are running a website, either for a personal blog or whatever it may be. Securing a website is one daunting task especially when you are just starting as a web developer. Try out this WordPress plugin and prevent potential online attacks best thing is it is free.
- Akismet – If you have already installed WordPress then you may have already seen this pre installed together with your WordPress site. I would often delete this then until I encountered a ton of spam comments. This plugin scours your WordPress comments for spam and preventing your site in publishing unwanted contents.
- BackWPup – another must-have plugin for beginners and professional alike. Providing users a complete back-up of your installation and files, because nobody wants to start over again when things get wipe-out.
- WP Super Cache – Speed issue is often the problem you may encounter if you’re working on a high traffic website. This WordPress plugin handles your website cache and improves speed.
- NextGen Gallery – This is one of the first WordPress gallery plugins I used when I was starting as a WordPress developer and until now I would often use it for other projects. Anyone can use this because it is highly customizable and can easily be used by anyone.
- Contact Form 7 – I still have no idea what happened to contact form 1 to 6. I still remember using this the first time, I used to create contact forms manually until I realized I could just WordPress plugin. A few search and this gem came up, and I keep using it until today.
- Captcha – If you still want a more robust plugin in preventing spam, this WordPress plugin might be for you. It is useful for logins, registration, password recovery, and comment forms.
WP Touch – Our website also uses this plugin. It is free but you could also upgrade to pro if you want more option. I would highly recommend this to newbie web developers who have limited skills in making a WordPress theme mobile responsive.
If you need a Free HTML Responsive Template download it here for free. “Free HTML Template Download“.
- Duplicator – I love this plugin! As a web developer, you would be often tasked to migrate or duplicate a WordPress website into a new directory, subdomain or even a new server. This plugin will make than task ten times easier. It’s easy to install with understandable instruction even non-web developers could use it.
WordPress.org contains a plethora of plugins, themes and other useful stuff that you can try and install
There is also a community where fellow WordPress developers can share and discuss topics related to WordPress development.
If you are still new to the freelancing world why need read this guide “Guide to start your online job“, It’s an article I made a few months back.